Friday, July 28, 2006

An Enjoyable Theological Commentary



Recently, I have been reading Herman Ridderbos' theological commentary on John's Gospel. I would highly recommend it to my fellow classmates and other advanced theological students. Ridderbos taught for years at the Reformed Churches of the Netherlands in Kampen (NT department). The book is certainly scholarly and focused upon the meaning/message of John's Gospel. Thus, less time is spent on text, source, and compositional critical issues in exchange for a more theologically driven pursuit.

I have enjoyed it so far. Perhaps I have given him some benefit of the doubt on some matters based upon my appreciation of his other work I read entitled, "Redemptive History and the New Testament Scriptures", another book that I would recommend on Canon and its theological significance. Anyway, perhaps you will find this tid-bit interesting, if not, well then, click on something else for now.

6 Comments:

Blogger James Gordon said...

Adam,
I am curious if "Redemptive History and the New Testament Scriptures" is anything like AP by Goldsworthy. I am just finishing AP and I want to dive a little deeper into the same area.

8:35 PM  
Blogger adam said...

Redempt. Hist and the NT is dealing more with the authority of the NT canon. He defends inspiration and canonicity from a redemptive historical/theological perspective.

It is certainly worth having in your library especially if you are thinking seminary (as I trust you are). You WILL be writing papers on canonicity and reliablility of the Holy Scriptures in your studies and this is a great resource.

6:52 AM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

James,

If you are interesting in something a bit deeper than AP, try Biblical Theology by Geerhardus Vos. I doubt any of us in here would subscribe to all Vos does theologically or methodologically, but he is still a classic evangelical in Biblical Theology written from a Redemptive-Historical Approach.

10:33 AM  
Blogger adam said...

J.C.,
Where were you at Together for the Gospel? You stood me up. :) You told me in an e-mail you were going! What Happened!!?

7:09 PM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

N. T. Wright's Christian Origins is awesome. I just bought all three and have read selcted portions on the Messiah and the Resurrection, and the meaning of Messiahship. Very thorough and challenging.

10:49 AM  
Blogger adam said...

J.C.

you missed a great time of talking with Coleman and Collop at Collop's house (@T4G). Coleman told the story of when you and him were jammin' with the guitars in your room and your roommate Chris started freaking out on you guys about how he came to NBBC to "get away from that crap!!!!!" :) Oh man, we were rollin'. My stomach was hurting from my big belly laughn'. The guys from Southern who had never heard the story were loving it too! Coleman was representing your room well. It was great, but it would have been great to have the J.C. supplementary version as well. :)

Drop me an email so that I can get make sure that I have your current email address. I think that I have your old one. (adamth03@hotmail.com).

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home