Saturday, June 03, 2006

"Sell all that you have and give it to the Poor"


I was reading the latest issue of "CT" (Christianity Today) and I came across an article entitled, "Rock Un-Solid" (p65). The article is about "Christian" rock bands that are struggling to make it in the "real band" world. That is to say, Godless rock bands are the only "real" bands that exist according to these...might I say, Punks. The article captures the much shared sentiment among "cross-over" bands, which is "We're Christians, but we're not a Christian band", to which I respond than you are NOT Christians.

At stake here, in my mind anyway, is whether or not a Christian can at anytime or in any situation be anything other than a Christian!? I mean c'mon! Did not Christ extend a much more deadly message than, "We're Christians, but we're not a Christian band"? Christ's message was one of bidding us unto death. For he would say, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead" (Mtt 8:22). Consider also, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple" (Lk 14:26ff).

The article surrounds mainly a band by the name "Mute Math". The keyboardist and cofounder Paul Meany is quoted as saying, "I had no desire to be the Christian version of a real band". This punk, who used the Christian community as a starting point to get his little quasi rock band going, goes on to say, "We wanted total mainstream credibility, and then to have it sold back into the Christian market if it were successful in the mainstream" (quotes from p63).

So I ask you, is this Christian? Can the individuals that make up "Mute Math" call themselves Christ's disciples at all, though they claim the name of Christian? They say that they are Christians, but I say that Christ's message of what that means has been monumentally unnoticed or sinfully ignored. This is not the markings of Christianity!

Finally, I would say that if you (anyone, including Mute Math) have not been found to hate your music for Christ's sake than you are not a partaker of his covenant. This message might seem harsh, but I think that all ought to seriously consider it. May we never be a bunch of Joel Osteens', but rather biblical Christians despising this worlds glamour for the sake of a better and far more lasting Kingdom.

3 Comments:

Blogger T. Baylor said...

I think you hit on something good here. We need to distinguish between being Christians in a secular band, singing non-theological music, and being a Christian band singing theological music. A failure to make this distinction is what allows k-love to play some of their ACM ("ambiguously christian music").

Christian theology for Christian music is what I say. But can Christians be apart of secular bands which sing non-theological music?

7:19 AM  
Blogger Chris Bruno said...

Baylor asks a good question. I haven't read the article, but it sounds like the guy is saying, I don't want my band to be marketed to the CCM crowd. I think that is fine. It seems there is a difference between "Christian music" as a genre and good music made by Christians.
Although he was by no means perfect, I think that Johnny Cash did a good job with this, especially in his later years.

5:38 AM  
Blogger adam said...

Johnny Cash is a weird case I think. I am not really savvy to the topic, and I certainly do not wish to form my opinion from the movie. I read something on him a while back from Derek Webb and I really did not care for it then. I will check into your reference though.

I am perhaps more kicking against the Christian music market being used for commercial gain from godless bands. I am certainly not against honestly motivated and clearly stated (non-ambiguous) 'secular' bands or christian ones either.

Read the article if you have it I think it will be clear at what I am annoyed with.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home