Saturday, May 27, 2006

Reading Genesis


I have recently been abscent from blogging since the reading for my summer course has been assigned. I have been reading "How to Read Genesis" by Tremper Longman III for the last week. I thought that I would offer a brief review for your pleasure, or perhaps for your annoyance, but a brief review none-the-less.


For the Layman:
The book was enjoyable. It is quite brief (only 173 pgs) and yet nicely informative. I would encourage anyone who is going to read Genesis through for their study time to pick up a copy. It was $9.17 on walmart.com and for that price it is WELL worth it. Longman is helpful in breaking down the basic concepts which form the entire book of Genesis. He is very readable and easily followed (I imagine) for the non-technical student (i.e. non-seminarian). In sum, I think that you would find the book to be worth its weight in teaching you the basic elements of Genesis so that your reading of the holy text will be rich and full.

For the Seminarian:
All the above stated info immediately applies. However, I also think that you would enjoy the appendix section. He offers his perspective on the best Genesis commentaries and he writes a brief comment on each to tell you the theological perspective of the author who wrote the commentary. Perhaps for that alone you would want the book, because DO NOT think that you can just barrow my copy and look at the commentary recomendation, no, no, no! Just-kidding of course, but really I think that it would be worth the $9.17 to buy the book.

In sum, for you the book will probably serve you best in teaching a course on Genesis in your church; this text would nicely suppliment your thoughts.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tim Barker said...

Thomas,

I agree whole-heartedly with your review. It was a helpful read for a cursory understanding. What I found to be most pleasureful, as one who is hopefully considered a little more on the technical side of things, is the way Longman took hugely debated items, shot around a couple perspectives, and then offered his conclusion. If one was aware of the volumes he is condensing in just a couple sentences, one finds his summary invaluable. Longman shows himself to be a churchman as he does not leave Genesis in the halls of academic criticism but takes the findings of the academiacs and serves it up to the average pew-sitter.

4:40 PM  
Blogger smlogan said...

thomas...
who would want to "barrow" any of your crap when we can borrow barker's?

10:48 AM  
Blogger adam said...

Barker: great use of "churchman" I am going to adopt that into my colloquiums everytime I get the chance:)

Logan:...Logan...Logan...what am I to do with your winsome personality and witty insights:)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Garrett said...

Thanks for that Adam. I picked the book up on clearance at SBTS when I was in Loiusville, but hadn't had a chance to really look at it yet. I liked his "How to Read the Psalms" and now I am looking forward to this volume as well.

7:01 PM  
Blogger adam said...

How to Read the Psalms? G, c'mon, CHRISTOLOGICALLY!!!!!!!!!! :) Just kidding,...well...maybe not so much.

Anyway to the real matter at hand, I did not know that "How to read the Psalms" existed? I will have to pick it up. Would you recommend it (highly, lowly, ney?)

Does anyone know how many books are in the series (or "mini" series I guess)?

Do tell, do tell.

4:21 PM  
Blogger adam said...

Thanks Ed. I'll have to certainly get them for my library.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home