Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"Friends I've Never Met" - Part II



Charles Hodge was a masterful systematic theologian. His life's work was much consumed by a strong presentation and defense of the mighty doctrines of grace. When american students talk of Calvinism they are speaking the language of exemplary men like Charles Hodge. History speaks of him as possessing a vigorous intellectual mind for truth coupled with a heart for God. His influence was immense. He enjoyed a distinguished fifty year tenure at College of New Jersey (now Princeton). During that time he is said to have taught nearly 3,000 ministerial students! Dr. Hodge was a scholar of scholars and we are truly indebted to his mind and minstry.

His Sytematic Theology is now sold in a 3vol set with a three part division (Vol 1) Theology, (Vol 2) Anthropology and (Vol 3 ) Soteriology. This set is worth possessing for all theological students.

Charles Hodge certainly is a friend that I have never met, but a friend none-the-less.

Phil. 2:29-30 "...hold men like him in high regard...for the work of Christ" (men of godly service)

13 Comments:

Blogger James Gordon said...

Adam,
Does Hodge give a good overview of covenant theology in his 3 volume work? I thought about purchasing it.

5:07 PM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

Ok, I was planning to post on this, but I think this might be a good place to toss the question out: Who is the greatest American Theologian? Any takers?

7:56 PM  
Blogger James Gordon said...

t.robert baylor,
Are we talking from all American history or just a certain period?

8:30 PM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Jake B. said...

If you are asking my opinion, then I believe Adam should be in the running.

9:04 AM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

Ha! That is hilarious! Wait . . . Adam, is that you?

10:57 AM  
Blogger smlogan said...

sunday school answer:
(jonathan edwards)
thomas' answer:
(john piper)
baylor's answer:
(myself [baylor]; apposition)

i think it depends on whether we're talking 'greatest mind/thinker' or 'most influential theologian/writer/preacher'?

edwards is still my boy, although cfh henry was no slacker.
(of course, i'm a sucker for the princetonian scholars - Warfield being my favorite)

2:35 PM  
Blogger adam said...

I love how Logan tends to (or almost every time) separate the act of "theologizing" from "philosophizing" or "thinking" or "preaching". You are the great compartamentalist. I know what you mean though.

I would also agree right at first with Logans assessment of Edwards being perhaps the greatest thinker/philosopher. And I would view Warfield with much esteem as a theologian. However, I would certainly not disregard my boy Hodge. More though must be given to this discussion though. I will have to get back to you all.

Baylor:

Who would you say? Perhaps Zane Hodges? Or perhaps you would better like Cymbala or Mahaney?

3:44 PM  
Blogger James Gordon said...

Adam,
It is good to see no one reffering to Brian McClaren. This is a tough one. I am a definite fan of Edwards (and of course Piper). From what I have read from Warfield, however, I would cast a vote for him also.

4:56 PM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:37 PM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

Stop Reading this and get back to work Thomas!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A.T, hey whats up? I understand what your talking about when you speak of Hodge. I've been doing alot of reading from his Systematics and though slow sometimes, I've really enjoyed his insights. Great to see your doing well. I'll never forget you and the rather large role you played in my life, mainly from one night of talking w/ you. You challenged me, when I needed it most. So thanks!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Jake B. said...

Hey, where are the words of wisdom. You have had me on the edge of my seat for a solid week now. Dont leave me hangin.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home