Sunday, April 30, 2006

"Do You Really Mean It?"

I am, as so are many of you, fresh off of the T4G Conference. The conference was everything that I was anticipating it to be. I must say that the entire conference made me feel like the Norman Rockwell painting entitled, "I will do my best" (placed here for your viewing pleasure) in a certain way. That is, I felt like standing and making a pledge (or "cutting a covenant" if you prefer biblical terminology) with each speaker as they confessed Christ and admonished me to fight the good fight for the glory of God and the Church which is his body. R.C. Sproul was one such speaker who God used to both reprove and encourage me. He made it painfully clear that it is one thing to "believe", defend and proclaim justification by faith alone and it is totally another to "have it in your blood"! As R.C. spoke I was stunned at my own lack of faith in Christ's justifying work of grace. I was also strenghtened with that same sense of awe; God is marvelous and exceedingly kind.

Piper was certainly a spiritual "highlight" if I could phrase it in such terms. He brought a sense of blood earnestness that only Piper could do. What more can I say than, you know, Piper. His Godward sobriety puts all who stand in the pulpit nearly to shame. Even Ligon Duncan acknowledged that much during the answer and question time (who I might add was quite remarkable himself while preaching the whole Bible as Christian Scripture).

I must say this, each scholar represented (Sproul, Dever, Duncan, MacArthur, Piper, Mohler) had a pastoral heart and concern. Each referred to the joy of the pastorate as joy which cannot be experienced elsewhere. I found that humbling and encouraging.

Finally, the most "Rockwell" moment for me (and others I'm sure) was when Piper spoke to the "men in their twenties". He spoke of the current church with a pessimistic tone however, he spoke of the future generation with optimism, with reference to our theology. He said that he is seeing a trend in "little pockets" everywhere of men who love the glory of God. As he explained he said, "let me be clear" I mean "calvinism". Then he went on to add that worship is fueled by theology and admonished us to keep going. Perhaps now, you can most rightly understand how I felt like the boys in the Rockwell painting. I wanted to stand and tell each man, who commended himself to me through speaking at this conference, "I'll do my best". Specifically, John Piper I hear you loud and clear and "yes" I will continue to stand by the Spirits power for the glory of God in the Gospel!
Brothers, we must teach and preach calvinism, that is the articulation of the Gospel revealed in Scripture.

15 Comments:

Blogger T. Baylor said...

Thomas,

That is you in the yellow bandana, I am in the Red . . . we are brothers!

9:29 PM  
Blogger James Gordon said...

Adam,
I waw looking at the sovereign grace website, and they have this whole conference on an MP3 cd. Would you recommend it? I think it is like $11 or something.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jake B. said...

AT, I found your blog. So far half of what i have read so far i doint understand. Just thought that i could bring some trash talk to the action. Jake and Dana

5:15 PM  
Blogger adam said...

Baylor, yes, we are surely brothers, but I want to be the big kid in the back. Is that ok?

James:

YES!!!!! the Piper sermon alone is worth much more than $11! If you like audio get it!

Jake and Dana:

It is great to hear from you guys and thanks for the vote of confidence (and the trash talk)! I love you guys.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Jake B. said...

Adam,
I was reading some of your old blogs and i saw the one about the Tigers. What about the Pistons! Or the Stones as i like to call them. Dont forget to give them some love.

10:21 AM  
Blogger jeileenbaylor said...

Adam... very good report. What a blessing! I wish I could have been there, but as we all know... women were not welcome. But I guess I have to admit that the men will be the preachers, so I they should have the first opportunity to soak up the deep teachings of Calvinism. I suppose I'll get the MP3 cd :o)

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kelly Glupker said...

Hey Adam
I just found your blog through the Bruno's. I am glad you enjoyed the conference. My husband really wanted to go - he has been talking about it for like a year and a half now. Unfortunately our circumstances did not permit him to go. I will have to let him know that the audio is only $11.
Are you finishing seminary this semester? Lord willing, Ben (my husband) will be attending seminary this fall - if we can sell our house and get out of Saginaw that is!
-Ke

11:19 AM  
Blogger Kelly Glupker said...

I don't know how I signed my name "Ke" but it was supposed to be "Kelly" Sorry

11:20 AM  
Blogger robertlhall said...

I like that statement about worship being fueled by theology. It rings of II Cor 3:18. We must constantly be exposing ourselves to the glories of Christ...

by the way, I already knew that Baylor thought like a boyscout, but AT too?

1:16 PM  
Blogger adam said...

Jake:

I'll try to give a shout out to the 'stones in the near future.

Kelly:

Thanks for the comments. It is nice to hear that you and your husband are pursuing ministry, a different type that is. Keep us updated.

Rob:

Good call on the 2Cor passage that was what Piper spoke on. Good call.

1:49 PM  
Blogger James Gordon said...

Adam,
I just downloaded Piper's message from TG4 from the sovereign grace website for $2. You were right! It was definitely worth more than what I paid for it. The way he magnifies the glory of God makes me want to begin preaching right now. What a great man of God he is!
James

3:35 PM  
Blogger adam said...

James:

I too share in the "adrenaline" of John Pipers ministry of the word. I was reading in Philippians the other day and I read 2:9 and immediately thought of him and the others at the conference.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Jake B. said...

At,
I set up my own blog. It is more of a family website. We put some pictures on there. I will put some more as we get them. I figured it was a good way for you to see Trenton. Got to go. Off to BABS.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Nate Mihelis said...

Amen and Amen! My hands are deep in the pockets of calvinism! I'm thrilled (though not surprised) to hear that Piper made such an overt statement. Did everyone stand and applaud? I would have.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Jake B. said...

Adam,
I was reading some of your old blogs and i saw the one about the Tigers. What about the Pistons! Or the Stones as i like to call them. Dont forget to give them some love.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home