Friday, April 07, 2006



For anyone interested there is going to be a 20/20 "investigation" into to the "hidden history of Jesus" tonight. James Tabor performs some pseudoscience, writes a book and is ushered into the lime light. Agenda? Absolutely! In watching an interview with Tabor I heard him say that there was no way that Jesus could have been virgin born, because "it takes two sets of chromosomes". Since Tabor is working off of a typically depraved presuppositional foundation, he postulates that Jesus' father was a Roman soldier named, "Pantera" (No, not the Dallas based death exalting Rockband).

Thus, Jesus is emphatically not the Son of God or the child of Joseph. Tabor believes that what he has found destroys the traditional views of Christianity and presents a Jesus, who teaches much differently than the first century Christianity that spread abroad in his name. Of course there is also the other "new historical" find "The Gospel of Judas" which is another bit of pseudoscholarship/science. (More about this can be found on Almohler.com see my link over on right).

I think (don't hold me to it though) Carson is going to be a part of the "investigation" tonight on 20/20. They have selected him to, obviously, represent the orthodox scholarship, which is sweet because he is certainly up to the task!

It is true that whether all of this resurgence in the historical Jesus type of junk is annoying or not it, we must be ready to give an answer. Anyone up to going to see the DaVinci Code when it comes out?

7 Comments:

Blogger Nate Mihelis said...

I recorded a couple of minutes with Carson. I think he did a great job (surprise surprise). I loved how he hijacked (or reapportianed) the term mythology and used it to apply to Tabor's stuff. I'm planning on going to see the DaVinci code; I'm assuming you're buying. However, Grif (djg) offered a decent caution from a different perspective that's worth looking at over at the Normal Christian. You'll either have to search on Da Vinci or ask him where it is.

5:22 PM  
Blogger adam said...

I love the interaction with your sort. Well, I better be careful here lest you think that you have actually contributed something worthwhile to any dialogue yet. I am not sure what you mean when you say, "although, I'm glad for your sake that he drifted into error, instead of following my line of argument"?


I fear for you and those who you minister to. Perhaps you should check into early Jewsih history I think that you would find an interesting parallelism between us, the "peas in a pod" and you. That is, there is type of Jewish teaching that christ condemned in the gospels as he addressed the Pharisees. This teaching is known as "Halakah". Halakah was promoted by men, who unfortunately you seem to have much affinity with. You know, the legalists who try to gain God's favor by wearing uneasy yokes and heavy burdens as proof to their "godliness". These people go onto blogs and try to discredit their opponents by espousing their own "godliness" (i.e."Next you'll be telling me that you drink and smoke too...
although I'd expect as much"). This teaching is dangerous because it places the precepts of man on par with the commands of God. I think that it is only fitting to warn you of such dangers, you seem to be traveling a similar path.

I hope for your sake that you are able, as our Lord was superbly able, to confront your culture and not hide from it. Your blogs suggest otherwise. As I stated on "boanerges" the DaVinci code, like it or not, is a force to be reckoned with. It sold 40mil copies in 3 years! I have been engaged by my unbelieving coworkers with much of its philosophy. Knowing a little bit about it has enabled me to engage it with the gospel.

Finally, it is sad to see you thinking so inadequately. I hope we can continue this dialogue, that is if you are interested in thinking biblically, not pharisaically.

7:40 PM  
Blogger adam said...

my final comment is that I have a funny idea that KJVernacular is actually "Scott Logan"! YOu have been had Logan!! I am quite sure of this.

9:03 AM  
Blogger adam said...

If Baylor was in on it, as I trust he was, then he's a blogging idiot! Why would you guys choose such a gracious and humble person as myself to inflame with rage? Rage and confrontation is so,...well,...so NOT thomas!? Why me?

Anyway, it was a good run, but hey the run is done!

Nice logan
P.S. it wasn't Rob Hall

10:07 AM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

Thomas,

This was an instance of reprobation! We saw your "true colors shining through, we saw your true colors and thats why we [mess] with you, so don't be afraid to let them show . . . your true colors." All of those colors, Thomas, are shades of Fundy!

5:24 PM  
Blogger adam said...

Thanks Phil Collins for that word of encouragment. Go listen to some more of your "Delilah after dark", you psycho!

6:01 PM  
Blogger robertlhall said...

I see my name has much been used in vain. I had an idea from the first that KJ was Logan from some of the phrases used, although I do have to say that Thomas figured it out before I told him my own suspicions.

On a serious note, I hope to be able to get into this thing a little more. It seems to be a good way for the unity to be maintained.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home