Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Promise is for you and your children?

Recently I have been attending Westminster Reformed Presbyterian Church in Suffolk, Va. I have really enjoyed the worship and doctrinal atmosphere. I began attending because of the church's strong and public adherence to the Doctrines of Grace as articulated in the Westminster Catechism (longer and shorter). The worship style is blended and very gracious. The expository preaching has richly blessed not only myself, but my wife also. The pastor is a sharp guy (Westminster DMin) and presents studied material not personal issues. The church is Christ honoring and very refreshing! But................., I am struggling with their perspective on baptism (infants) and what that might mean for me as a member seeking out minstry within the body. My wife and I are going to the Pastors home this Friday for dinner and I will be able to cover this ground with him. However, here are some theological issues I would like to present.

As I understand it they articulate 3 "special" covenants in scripture. Those "special" covenants being, Abraham (Gen 12, 15, 17), Moses (Ex 19-24), and David (2 Sam 7, Ps 89, 132). Historically within these particular covenants both believers and unbelievers resided. Thus, a pattern throughout Scripture is that not everyone within the covenant community is regenerate.
Move forward into the context of the New Covenant community and you will also find that not all covenant members are regenerate Heb. 10:26-27; ("This verse is a warning to church members that are not true believers that they will be judged if they continue in their evil ways" - Richard Pratt). Notice also, Heb. 10:29-30 this suggests that "sanctified" is not to be confused with saved it is simply meaning "set apart" by the covenant.

I guess the view is this: Old Testament covenants included children (Gen 6:18; 17:17; Ex 20:5-6; Ps 132:11-12) and therefore the New Covenant includes children (Acts 2:38-39; 1 Cor 7:14).

Let me be clear! In no way does baptism include any element of salvation, in the sense that a child does not need to call upon Christ from their own faith. Rather, baptism is used to call children to faith just as circumcision called children in the Old Convenant to faith (Jer 4:4). Baptized children are called to make the outward sign an inward reality by trusting Christ.


Well, what do you say?
signed,
Struggling church member

2 Comments:

Blogger T. Baylor said...

Thomas,

I would have a difficult time seeing the New Covenant as including unregenerates for several reasons:

1) though Hebrews warns these believers, this is not so much a statement of their objective standing before God, as much as the subjective experience of their perseverance;
2) the language of the New Covenant is directly associated with regeneration and the circumcision of the heart ("law written on the heart" Jer. 31:33 and a circumcised heart Ez. 36:26);
3) the language of the New Covenant is represented in the NT in passages which speak of union with Christ (Col. 2; 1 Cor. 11).

For what it is worth, I think you should go, it sounds like a sweet church if you can't embrace the Spirit like me!

4:43 PM  
Blogger Nate Mihelis said...

"Struggling Church Member"

Which church is that? :-0

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home