Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Considering Blogging

Recently, I took a trip to Michigan to visit family and during the portions that my wife drove I read this months CT (Christianity Today). There was a comment in one of the articles that really grabbed my attention, perhaps because I am guilty? Anyway, the comment was about how we live in a self-obssessed culture and this is reflected through the use of the internet especially. Examples, such as YouTube, and blogspot are a couple of those internet indicators that can demonstrate our obvious avenues of narcissism. That is, I wonder if I blog because I am self-motivated and really think that everyone should hear my thoughts because they are really what everyone needs? Or, do I blog more simply because I enjoy the internet "talking" with many friends that I just can't see everyday? I trust that my blog is not an avenue for more self-seeking and narcissism, but perhaps I could be victim to one more avenue of self-worship offered to me in our current culture. Is blogging really just a way to show everyone that would read just how smart, dumb, or indifferent one person can be? I hope not.
Used in the right vein I understand that blogging and anyother form of communication can be used to benefit the body of Christ, friendships, families etc. But I suppose that we must be diligent in preserving the right use of the blogosphere rather than falling asleep at the wheel of life and using it for more narcissism in an age of narcissism. Blogging is not a case for "If you can't beat'em join 'em".

thinking...

7 Comments:

Blogger Tim Barker said...

Thomas,

good thoughts I consider the same from CT (call out Baylor for still not subscribing). I do want to be cautious of the nay sayers, who constantly call out the new medium they don't understand. I think blogging is far more as you described it as a community in discussion -a "flat world" if you will.

5:11 PM  
Blogger smlogan said...

thomas,

don't listen to barker's pre-columban rhetoric; the world is still roundish last i checked - ha!
and i love how you listen to CT over your friend; i've been calling you a narcissist for years.
(though baylor makes you look like
a humble citizen of the blogosphere).

i have to admit that the concerns you mentioned have been among my reasons for not starting a blog all this time; on this i am being serious. though of course, my primary reason for being a 'nay-sayer' is the maxim you finished with (alongside of my desire to thwart baylor's will).

i was just talking with a college buddy of mine about a sermon his pastor preached where he denounced the use of blogs by the younger generation, so i think you are on the right track by identifying it as a sort of 'hot topic'.

1:08 PM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

I see my name is being taken in vain.

9:15 PM  
Blogger smlogan said...

what did you expect?

6:06 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi, Adam. Karen (Stine) Adams here. Great post--I've often cautioned myself on the content of my own blog. It's not theological in nature, as yours is--more day-to-day for the benefit of my out-of-state family. Nice to "see" you here in the blogosphere.

And congrats on your baby boy. There's nothing like having kids.

1:35 PM  
Blogger RJTL said...

AT,

Just thought I'd say thanks for the provocative thoughts regarding blogging. At SBC we just started a blog with the hope of reaching the "younger generation (in the church and beyond)" with doctrine through this medium. It is a good reminder to keep the purpose clear.

Eilers

9:11 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

Agreed, friend. How you doing? Glad to hear about the baby! Laters!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home