Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Such Quick Reminders

For all who have been reading my blog lately I would like to apologize. I feel that I have received a great reminder on just how deeply I need the empowering presence of God's Spirit in daily life. The scenario is perfect. I was talking about what I have come to love to discuss, plan and strategize about...and then...it hit. While talking about the great work of God and his plan for me to minister in his work of redemption (in all probability in the context of Pittsburgh) I proved to be, once again, a trangressor of the law. I failed to love a fellow brother. I read his comments and then "bit back" so quickly it even startled me (almost). I was reminded later that day that love working through faith "is patient and kind...is not arrogant or rude...it is not irritable or resentful". By virtue of my quick bitting comment I was guilty of breaking God's law.
Thus, once again, I was brought full circle. It is I who need to constantly be reminded of Christ and his power in my life which enables me to "put to death the deeds of my body" (Romans 8:13) even the death of arrogant or rude comments. It is Christ "who redeemed us from the curse of the law" (Galatians 3:13). Praise be to God.
How quickly God can humble us. I was talking about church planting and sharing what has become a great passion of mine in the last six months thinking all things are moving forward greatly, planning, strategizing and dreaming! Then, as quickly as it comes, it goes. I was shown just how much I still need God, as though for a moment I forgot that magnificent piece. Don't you just love our Father for his unwavering commitment to making us more like his Son in all matters, even in matters of mundane conversations.

"Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection, Outdo one another in showing honor" (Romans 12:9-10)

4 Comments:

Blogger Garrett said...

I appreicate the candor, meekness, and humility AT. That's exactly what's missing much of the time in the Christian blogosphere. It is most satisfying, even more than the greatest of theological insights I read.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT, Good post like G said I can sense your humility in the post. knowing some about the situation from both sides I understand what you are saying. I attribute your quick bite back to two things. One, as we have talked about many times words on a blog cannot show facial expressions and are unable to express sarcasm or humor. It is tough to judge what people are trying to say with just words and without tone to go along with them. Secondly, you have a very strong passion for what you feel God has called you to do and dare I day that your response was one like Peter(quick, not all the way thought through). I appreciate your willingness to admit openly that you have "failed to love a fellow brother." Another lesson learned in the blog world. Thanks adam, your life and your example(s) have been a large part in the building up of my own personal relationship with Christ. Keep your strong passions for what God has called you to do in this life!!!!

5:51 AM  
Blogger jessevan said...

Adam
Thanks for the response, the humility was much appreciated. I know that can be used in all of our lives to further our walk with Christ. Again thanks for the Post it was encouraging, and I will continue praying that the Lord will further your walk, and prepare you for the Mission field of PA, along with those individuals He would have working along side of you.
Thank-you so much for the impact you have had on my own life and the lives of so many around me. It is a true joy to see how God is working.

7:29 AM  
Blogger James Gordon said...

AT,
I appreciate the humility. I often struggle with balancing zeal for the text with love for people. It is a weakness of mine, and your humility is an encouragement in that area. Our love for the glory of God (orthodoxy) must converge with our practical lives (orthopraxy) at the cross of Jesus Christ, the place where love, justice, equality, humility, and wrath come together giving us the complex, multi-faceted, beautiful picture of our savior that impacts how we related to everyone. Again, thanks for the humility.

In Christ,
James

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home