Saturday, February 10, 2007

Is That Really The "Problem"?

I have been examining (lightly) my perspective on blogging recently and I have come to some realizations about the whole "idea" of blogging, specifically the content of blog posts. Reviewing most of my posts in the past has enlightened my thinking about content in the future. I know that I have lost some of my "readership" (for lack of a better term) since I am to say the least a "lazy" or "sporatic" writer/talker. However, I cannot help but to think that it has something to do with the content of the posts in general. One thing that is interesting is how the criticism comes from some of the general public about how people want to read "edifying" material and encouraging dialogue. However, I find that when I try to sympathize with the criticism NO ONE really cares to interact with the "edifying" material. This is not a problem for me (I really don't care), but it just says something about those who criticize.
When "controverisal" subjects or statements are posted people come out of the woodwork to rebuke writers over the lack of edification in the material and dialogue, but they never post when the material truly is edifying?
I say all that to say this, it seems to be that people want annoying material so that THEY CAN criticize! That seems to be the only logical explanation to this blogging phenomenon. So really, you will criticize material for being to "controversial" (lack of edification), but if there is no material to criticize you will complain within yourself that there is nothing here to engage (criticize). Oh what a merry-go-round.
Anyway, I hope to continue with this vein for sake of engaging "controversial" material, though to those who are not looking to criticize will not see the controversy of the material at all, and those who simply want to criticize because that is what they love to do, will equally find pleasure in criticizing and that will bring a certain level of enjoyment to me as the writer as well (weird I know, but entertaining none-the-less).

Anyway, here's to all the "haters" and the "lovers"; let's enjoy criticizing and loving, while loving all the same.

8 Comments:

Blogger T. Baylor said...

I'm a hater -- this blog is gay.

10:03 AM  
Blogger adam said...

How did you know that I was speaking to you? Your hater intuitions and instincts are amazing Luther.

Kudos.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Tim Barker said...

Thomas,

Terrible post.
Let's see more edification from you. You lover of innane questions and constant strife.

11:36 AM  
Blogger jessevan said...

Isn’t it enough to know that you were trying to edify someone? Your post about the Christian rap encouraged me. Just to know that there are people out there that are able to have a more effective ministry to a specific group of people than I may be able to have is awesome, and I really enjoyed listening to what they had to say. I was also encouraged by what your brother had to say in his first comment to your blog, that was encouraging to me. We as believers don’t need to use the things we disagree on for a point of entertainment.

7:29 PM  
Blogger adam said...

Great to hear from you Ed! I have recently been told that Will Lee is going to be planting a church in the greater Atlanta area. I was thinking that you might be interested in hearing from him about his thoughts.

Anyway, great to hear from you and I look forward to our next crossing of paths.

6:50 AM  
Blogger smlogan said...

good call, ed...
impersonal for sure;
(pius - not so much).

of course, i myself am typically a lover - but in your case, it is just so hard.

9:09 AM  
Blogger adam said...

Let the edification continue!It is good to have you guys' fellowship, even you Luther and Logan.

4:01 PM  
Blogger smlogan said...

sthomas,

i can appreciate where you are coming from, and am glad to hear of your growth in Christ.
your testimony has encouraged others as well...

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home