Thursday, January 18, 2007

More Hip Hop for my iPod Please!!

One afternoon during the Christmas holiday I was walking through a Christian bookstore looking, as always, for any Piper material that they might have had. I picked up a copy of "The Pleasures of God". While I was holding onto the book looking over it a voice came over my shoulder and said, "He's really good". I turned around to find a young black guy (age 17-19) smiling at me. He said that Piper has really changed his thinking about the church. I was astounded. I never seem to meet people like that in popular Christian bookstores. Typically Joel Osteen or Billy Graham are the most touted authors, not Piper.

I said to him, "That's great to hear"! He went onto ask me, "Who else do you like to read?" I said R.C. Sproul, Mark Dever and Greame Goldsworthy. He said, "Ah yea, Sproul is great. I have been trying to teach my pastors about how the church is supposed to look, ya know, how we are to love the Word and preach the Gospel without compromise". He said, "We have just got to go deeper". Again, I was astounded.

He then asked about what music I love to listen to. I told him pretty much anything by sovereign grace, Chris Tomlin, (let's be honest here, Petra and Switchfoot also, I know, I know...). He asked my about Rap. I was honest and said, well, as you can see by looking at me that that is not necessarily my particular culture, but yet I still enjoy bits and pieces.

He gave me a few websites and encouraging words about the Hip Hop movement in evangelicalism.

Anyway, I enjoyed our conversation so much that I went and checked out the websites. I really liked much of what I found! Heck, I think that I might even venture out into a Hip Hop for the old iPod.

I say all that to say this, check out www.theambassadoronline.com This guy is the REAL DEAL. He is in connection with CrossMovement Records. Seriously, you need to check out his video! If I were a real blogger I would have posted the video here on my site, but again, let's be honest, I'm a hack.

Anyway, check it out because the Ambassador gonna make you wanna jump! jump! Adam is gonna make you wanna jump! jump! Jesus is gonna make you wanna...well...never mind. :)

You have to go to www.theambassadoronline.com. Check out the video he is featuring. It is really great.

7 Comments:

Blogger James Gordon said...

Good post, Adam. I am definitely linking to it. Biblical unity expressed in diversity is truly beautiful.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Doug A. said...

AT, I cannot believe that you went back to the Kris-Kross days! I can totally picture you with your sweatshirt/pants backwards as you were typing this blog. I will check it out.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Mike Osborne said...

I have listened to Ambassador before. Back in the day my friend Matt (a recent convert at the time) was looking for some Xian Rap. We looked through lots and lots of albums, and we landed on him. I concur, this brother is the real deal. Peace. I'm Out.

8:48 PM  
Blogger T. Baylor said...

Thomas, I know you own some hammer pants. Why don't you break off a little ice, ice baby.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Tim Barker said...

Cultural Engagement at its finest. Mark would be proud Adam, a diverse taste in music always helps the urban church planter.

7:30 AM  
Blogger adam said...

Doug:

Good call on the echoing "hint" of Kris-Kross! I should have known you would call it out perfectly. And yes, My shirt is currently on backwords.

Mike:

I remember your friend Matt from college. I remember you going through the fire with that kid. How is he doing these days? Persevering I hope.

To the Tims-es :)

Mark driscoll scares me, but yes, I do like sport some hammer pants when I am wearing my sweatshirt backwords. Perhaps, you will see me on my motorcycle keepin' it real.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Mike Osborne said...

Doug A,

He is barely hanging in there, but God is keeping him. I spoke at his wedding this last summer, and my parents just visited him recently since his commitment to the saints is spotty. If the Spirit brings him to mind in the coming days lift him up to the throne. thanks for asking.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home