Friday, March 09, 2007

Too Beautifully Biblical To Ignore

Many of you may have your "reservations" or nervous twitches when it comes to typology in Scripture, but I have to, as you probably well know by now, once again sound the trumpet. Graeme Goldsworthy's book "According to Plan" was written for laymen (and by the way EXTREMELY HELPFUL TOO) and I had to read it for an OT Theology class 2yrs ago and it revolutionized my thinking about the Gospel and HIS impact upon all of Scripture. I know that you can only know the Text as you know it in relation to Christ, since it is indeed as "testimony" of him.


Goldsworhty gives an interview on this blog and it is well worth the time to check it out (http://buzzardblog.typepad.com/buzzard_blog/2007/02/graeme_goldswor_1.html).
Goldsworthy says, "Biblical theology is the study of how every text in the Bible relates to every other text in the Bible. It's the study of the matrix of divine revelation. At the heart of the gospel is the person of Jesus Christ; he is the word of God come in the flesh. The nature of the gospel is such that it demands that it be at the centre of the biblical message. Biblical theology is, then, the study of how every text in the Bible relates to Jesus and his gospel. Thus we start with Christ so that we may end with Christ. Biblical theology is Christological, for its subject matter is the Scriptures as God's testimony to Christ. It is therefore, from start to finish, a study of Christ."

Consider these "types" of Scripture in relationship to the salvation revealed in Christ:
(1) Adam (Genesis 1-2; Romans 5).
(2) Moses (Exodus 32-34; John 1:1-18). Jesus is presented as a new Moses who brings about the new exodus of a new people (Jn 3:14-15; Num 21:8-9; Jn 6:32-35, 49-51, 58; Num 11:7-9; Heb 3:1-6).
(3) Israel (=son language; Isaiah 5; Hosea 11:1; Mt 2:15; Jn 15).
(4) Leaders (prophets, priests, kings).
(5) David (2 Sam 7:14; Isa 9:6-7; 11:1f; Ezk 34; Mt 22:41f; Acts 2:22-36).
(6) Institutions (temple, Passover, sacrifices).
(7) Events (exodus – Isa 40, esp. vv. 1-5, 9-11; Isa 63-64, esp. 63:7-19 and 64:1-12; cf. also Hos 11:1ff).

6 Comments:

Blogger smlogan said...

smokescreen...(pun intended)

7:58 AM  
Blogger robertlhall said...

nice smokescreen :) was Goldsworthy required for your OT class, and was that an OT class at CBTS?

1:14 PM  
Blogger The DJ said...

Adam, I did benefit greatly from your recommendation of "According to Plan." It really put it on an easily understandable level. It has helped me in my own Scripture reading to read in a "Biblical Theological" way. So thanks for the heads up.

8:17 PM  
Blogger James Gordon said...

Adam,
After you taught our Sunday School class for pastor awhile back I picked up the two books you recommended to me: According To Plan and The Temple and the Church's Mission. Both of those books have impacted the way I view the Bible and have helped me tremendously. Thanks! Also, did you see the new GG book coming out (Gospel-centered Hermeneutics). I cannot wait to read it!

James

8:47 PM  
Blogger adam said...

All:
You guys should keep an eye on 9Marks b/c Dever loves Goldsworthy. He has a few interviews with him and discusses/reviews his books. Another Biblical-theological set that I have just recently purchased is Dever's set "Promises Made (OT)vol 1 and "Promises Kept" vol 2. He mentions Goldsworthy in the forward.

Gordon:
You know that I am getting it.

6:01 AM  
Blogger James Gordon said...

Adam,
How is that set by Dever? I remember you mentioned it to me at the DG Conference, and I put it in my amazon wishlist. The last few book orders I have got from amazon almost contained the set, but I was not sure if it was worth the $40. What do you think? To buy, or not to buy?

James

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home